Monday, December 2, 2013

New Board Members Get Taste of Friction

New board members get taste of friction
Posted: Monday, December 2, 2013 10:07 pm
Newly sworn in Morrisville school board members no sooner took the oath of office before they briefly sampled just how rocky meetings can be.New members Ivan Colon, John Perry and Joe Gilleo, along with incumbent Daniel Dingle, took the oath of office Monday night to the applause of friends and relatives. For the most part, the agenda meeting went smoothly, but when it came time to reappoint Hill Wallack as solicitor, veteran Steve Worob took exception.Despite the support of district Superintendent William Ferrara, who praised the firm’s “quality work and timely response” to district requests, Worob criticized the appointment because of what he called exorbitant solicitor bills.
“The bills have been way over $100,000 this year; there were two months over $17,000. It is irresponsible of this board not the look around,” Worob said, adding that he did not question the work or the service of the firm.
But the board majority overrode Worob’s objections, saying that the higher legal bills this past year were not because of higher rates, but of a lawsuit with the Bucks County Technical High School that required an increased number of hours.
“Thank God for Hill Wallack,” said board member David Stoneburn, who pinned the added expense this year on an increasingly litigious society.
For the most part, however, the meeting went smoothly as the board finalized items to be voted on at next week’s meeting including: the appointment of student representatives to the board; the proposed approval of purchasing ePlus Meraki Options (wireless access points), plus two switches for $10,227, and a motion to participate in additional legal services offered by the Bucks County Intermediate Unit 22 and Sweet, Stevens, Katz and Wiliams, at a cost of $780.
The board will also vote on proposed teacher tuition reimbursements, appointments to the 21st Century after-school program’s staff, and various other appointments.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the new Board members, serve the town proudly.

Jon said...

Thank you for the well wishes.

A couple misspellings in the article. John Perry is Jon Perry, and Dave Stoneburn is Dave Stoneburner. Odd, because our names are chiseled onto our finely crafted naemplates.

Jon said...

Then again, I just misspelled nameplates.

Anonymous said...

How's that friction taste?

Anonymous said...

Remember, 1 bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch.

Anonymous said...

Oh but they do try....

Anonymous said...

without friction, there's no heat.

On a Bender said...

Brian Ralph Johnson:
It's like me with my grades.
When I step outside myself
and look in at myself, you know...
I see me.
I don't like what I see.
I really don't.

Claire Standish:
What's wrong with you? Why don't you like yourself?

Brian Ralph Johnson:
It sounds stupid but...
Because I'm failing shop.
We had this assignment, to make this ceramic elephant.
We had eight weeks to do it, and we're supposed... It was a lamp.
When you pull the trunk the light was supposed to go on.
My light didn't go on.
I got F on it.
I've never got an F in my life.
When I signed up for the course, I thought I was playing it smart.
I thought shop would be an easy way to maintain my grade point average.

John Bender:
Why did you think it would be easy?

Brian Ralph Johnson:
Have you seen the dopes in shop?

John Bender:
I take shop.
You must be a f***ing idiot.

Brian Ralph Johnson:
Because I can't make a lamp?

John Bender:
No, you're a genius because you can't make a lamp.

Brian Ralph Johnson:
Do you know about trigonometry?

John Bender:
I couldn't care less.

Brian Ralph Johnson:
Without trigonometry, there'd be no engineering.

John Bender:
Without lamps, there'd be no light.

Anonymous said...

Breakfast Club Good Flick.

Anonymous said...

Steve can rant till he's blue in the face. Just because he yells like a banshee doesn't mean he's right. Quite the opposite. He and his BFFs on the school Board got us into these legal quagmires like Tech and Manor Park-Headstart. Now he has the nerve to rant about legal fees rising?

Anonymous said...

Get rid of Ferrara and DeAngelo and they will all be gone.

Donna said...

I have to say it is quite disturbing that Mr. Worob doesn't even know Mr. Ferrara's name after all these years of sitting on the board. He called him Mr. Farrel all night.

Anonymous said...

Worob was late for the main meeting and missed an Executive Session.

Anonymous said...

He is not a well man.

Anna Nymous said...

he was spitting up blood
oh wait, sorry wrong board member

Anonymous said...

What are you a doctor, Anna? You had the wrong patient? Not a good one, I might add. Dr. Igor or Dr. Egor...sounds like the later

Anonymous said...

Bill Farrell, Bill Ferrara same interests. They are both children of Bill Hellman. The name Bill is not the only thing they have in common.

Anonymous said...

Hey we are missing a few
Bills.....I've got the wedding bell blues.....!

Anonymous said...

Bell bottom blues?

Anonymous said...

No, Wedding Bell Blues! 5th dimension.

Anonymous said...

I think this friction tastes a bit overseasoned. Perhaps a bit less salt, and definitely cut down on the cayenne. This could also be offset by adding a little sugar to tone it down some. This metaphor actually works pretty well, huh?

Anonymous said...

It does. How can something be overheated and half-baked at the same time? Amazing.