Thursday, June 30, 2011

High School Baseball - Vaccaro resigns at Morrisville

High School Baseball Vaccaro resigns at Morrisville

Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:00 am
For 13 years, Dave Vaccaro has coached baseball at Morrisville High School, where he also is a health and physical education teacher.
He also manages Yardley Post 317’s American Legion squad in the summer and is an instructor at Big Leagues Academy in Newtown.
So, he wears a lot of hats when it comes to baseball.
Vaccaro has decided to give up one of those hats, as he recently resigned as coach at Morrisville.
“It’s been playing on my mind maybe since the beginning of the season,” he said Wednesday night. “As the season went on, I tried to put it on the shelf and focus on the season that we were having, which was a good one.
“Then, I took a couple of weeks after it was over to make sure I was making the right choice.”
One of the issues he faced was the overlapping of the high school and Legion seasons.
“It was difficult,” Vaccaro said. “All these years, you’d have one month coinciding the end of the season and the beginning of the Legion season. That’s tough.
“When I made this decision and to hang on with the Legion season, it would be easier, because I teach and have my summers free.”
Vaccaro’s teams have had their share of success at Morrisville, as the Bullodgs were over .500 in eight of his 13 seasons, including three district championship games and the District One Class A title in 2002.
Coaching at smaller school has been rewarding as well.
“It forced me to really teach the game,” Vaccaro said. “Year after year, the numbers were small, which is a good situation for the kids, because they weren’t scratching and clawing to compete for a position, but I had to become a better coach. I had to teach the game and evaluate myself.
“We had the same nine or 10 or 11 guys on the field every day. I had to ask, ‘Are they getting better?’ You have to constantly readjust the way you coach the game.”
In the end, Vaccaro’s run at Morrisville was one he looks back on fondly.
“Baseball has been a huge part of my life these last 14, 15 years,” he said. “Over the course of the last few years, I’ve been telling msyelf it’s time to back off some of the things in my life. It seemed like the right time.
“I’ve had some highs and lows (at Morrisville). We’ve had good seasons and not so good seasons. And we’ve had not so good seasons on paper where we’ve built teams and come back a year or two later and had really good seasons.
“I’ve become a better person and a better coach in my 13 years at Morrisville.”

No comments: